New South Wales Combined High Schools




Convener's Welcome

News Items


Tournaments and Results

Life Members

Contact Us




Errea Cup  - 2007

Match Reports of Errea Cup and Trophy Semi Finals and Finals

Semi Finals
Tuesday 28 August 2007- Seymour Shaw Stadium

Semi final day began with the first of the girls’ semi finals played between The Hills Sports High School and Duval High School.

Although very much the underdogs, the girls from Armidale tried to take the game to their more fancied rivals from the start, but their attempts were short lived as by half time Hills had established a 5-0 advantage. Some personnel changes by Hills in the second half only served to slow down the rate of scoring and Hills ran out eventual winners 7-0. Duval is to be commended for being one of the top two comprehensive high schools in NSW for the second year in a row, showing what depth and commitment they currently have. Well done to coach Tony Jones and all his players.

The second game was the first of the boys’ encounters between Westfields Sports High School and Georges River College Oatley.

Again, with Westfields being favourite, Oatley threw everything at them but just could not stem the tide of goal scoring, and although Oatley got back to 1-2 midway through the first half Westfields went in 3-1 at half time and finished the game off 7-1. The power of the Westfields machine was just too strong but the Oatley boys competed well and they and coach Rob Butler can hold their heads high for their season’s work.

Game 3 was the second of the boys’ semi finals between Endeavour Sports High School and Kingswood High School.

Endeavour had a dream start with a goal inside the first 3 minutes but this seemed only to spark the Kingswood boys into action. The game see-sawed for the rest of the half and, with no further goals scored, Kingswood went in at half time confident of equalising. Endeavour had other ideas of course and replicated their first half start by scoring early on again. At 2-0 Endeavour could afford to settle in but the young Kingswood boys weren’t going to lie down and repeatedly launched attacks, to no avail. Endeavour held on to their lead to the final whistle but Kingswood walked off with heads held high to the cheers of their supporters. Coach Jodi Pohl said afterwards how proud she was with their display and the way they really took the game to their opponents.

The final game was the second girls’ semi final between Hunter Sports High School and Woolgoolga High School.

Woolgoolga entered the game after previously establishing themselves as a force in the U/15 Bill Turner competition. But could they continue on with success at the open level? Hunter had to battle hard in the early stages as Woolgoolga mounted several good attacking raids and took some time to get into the game. After a scoreless first half Woolgoolga must have fancied their chances of springing an upset but Hunter quickly got into their rhythm and within 20 minutes had scored 3 times to put Woolgoolga away. Being defeated 0-3 was no disgrace for coach John Morgan and his charges, who displayed confidence and skill to compete so well for the entire game.


Wednesday 29 August 2007 - Seymour Shaw Stadium

Finals night saw a large crowd gather at Seymour Shaw Stadium at Miranda to see the culmination of this most prestigious competition. Over 350 schools in both boys’ and girls’ competition began round 1 in March and it was now down to these last 2 teams to decide the crown.

Girls final: The Hills Sports High School 3 def Hunter Sports High School 1

The question from everyone before the game was could Hunter reverse earlier results during the season and surprise Hills? In the Sports High School section of the competition Hills had defeated Hunter twice before – 3-1 each time – and was looking good for a repeat performance in the final.

Hills began dominating from the kickoff but Hunter was busy and their tactics of trying to shut down Hills before they had time to settle was working well. It wasn’t until midway through the half that Karina Roweth, who had been making some searching runs down the right side for Hills, was able to cross a ball which wasn’t dealt with by the Hunter defence and Lindsay Glohe pounced at the far post to hit the ball into the roof of the net. Hills celebrated their lead by relaxing enough for Hunter to quickly mount pressure and win a corner. A good delivery from the left found Hunter’s Gema Simon, whose downward header found teammate Tara Andrews, and her quick reactions saw her hook the ball with her right foot into the open net. At 1-1 the game was balanced again, but Hills’ Renee Rollason took matters into her own hands by taking on 4 defenders as she incised her way into the box and hit across the keeper into the net at the far post to make it 2-1.

The second half saw Hills become more dominant and Hunter had to defend for long periods. The pressure finally told when Hills’ Kyah Simon, who had several chances through the game, latched on to a loose ball and drilled home from 20 metres to give Hills a 3-1 lead, the score remaining there until the end.

The win to Hills was fully deserved but Hunter showed they were fully deserving of their runners-up status. Hunter coach Mara Watts was philosophical afterwards, disappointed with the loss but pleased with the huge effort her players had put in. Hills coach Alen Stajcic praised his players for a wonderful result, and was pleased with the development over the season.

Player of the final: Elizabeth O’Reilly (Hills)

Player of the series: Renee Rollason (Hills)

Boys final: Westfields Sports High School 2 def Endeavour Sports High School 1

The game promised to deliver much and all in attendance weren’t disappointed! From the first whistle play was intense, frantic and passionate. Both sides had chances in a very even first half but it wasn’t until the busy Stefan Heleta from Westfields stormed into the Endeavour penalty box and hit his shot across the keeper into the net that play really opened up. The celebrations were short lived as Endeavour continued their pressure, Marc Warren inspiring his troops on, and Westfields had to knuckle down again but the scoreline remained at 1-0 until half time.

The second half began evenly as Westfields tried to take the game by the throat and Endeavour went searching for their equaliser. But again midway through the half a good build up from Westfields down the left side saw the ball squared across to Sean Mitchell, who turned and hit an unstoppable shot from 20 metres, sending the Westfields fans into raptures. It was just reward for Mitchell, who had been causing Endeavour headaches with his running and off ball movement all game.

Endeavour had to throw caution to the wind but their reply came unexpectedly. Endeavour won a free kick in centrefield about 30 metres out. With players thrown forward into the box David Nastoski unleashed a piledriver which was still going up when it lashed into the top corner of the net! Thomas Berger in the Westfields goal must have wondered which missile had had just been shot because it was an absolutely unstoppable strike. At 1-2 Endeavour was now back in the game and they threw players forward for the last 10  minutes to try and grab an equaliser. Westfields of course had other ideas, and some intelligent play from Trifiro and Mitchell slowed down the action and frustrated the Endeavour attempts. The final whistle blew and Westfields players and supporters delight and relief overwhelmed the stadium. Rival coaches Casey DeBruin and Trevor Morgan from Westfields, and Michael Tzavellas and Chris Bradley from Endeavour are to be congratulated for producing two teams playing with such great spirit and class. This final was as good a game as any seen in recent history in any competition in Australia, a remark made by Sports Plus Errea representative Nahuel Arrarte at the presentation ceremony.

Players and spectators alike had a fantastic night; great atmosphere, classy football, excitement and entertainment. A wonderful finish to the 2007 Errea knockout series.

Player of the final: Sean Mitchell (Westfields)

Player of the series: Glen Trifiro (Westfields)